Building a truly global engineering team with Rebecca Parsons, CTO @ ThoughtWorks
In this episode of CTO Connection, host Peter Bell sits down with Rebecca Parsons, CTO of Thoughtworks, to discuss managing a large, truly global engineering team, the implications for current advancements in architecture and the importance of supporting diversity and inclusion.
- [00:28] Path to CTO
- [01:58] Leading a 1200-person engineering team
- [04:08] Deciding on team size and structure
- [05:22] Managing geographically distributed teams; hiring locally
- [07:49] Career development for individual contributors and managers
- [11:00] Keeping up with new technologies
- [12:19] ThoughtWorks University
- [15:43] Looking forward to the next 3-5 years
- [18:58] Advancements in how we think about architecture
- [25:29] What makes a great engineer
- [26:42] Attracting talent
- [29:17] Bias in AI and the science of diversity
If you'd like to receive new episodes as they're published, please subscribe to CTO Connection in Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. If you enjoyed this episode, please consider leaving a review in Apple Podcasts. It really helps others find the show.